I finally got started painting the 4′ x 8′ library mural this week. Actually it’s not technically a mural, but a very large painting. It will be mounted on the wall permanently and surrounded by a frame, though, so either term probably works. I ordered Claessons Oil primed Belgian linen from Dick Blick and mounted it on a tempered masonite panel using Demco’s archival adhesive. I then hung the panel on the wall of my frame shop (my studio is too small) so I can work vertically. It’s worked pretty well so far. Here are a few of photos of the process after two days of painting.
From my 10″ x 20″ pencil layout, I transferred the design using grids in red pencil. I did some sketching directly on the linen using pencil, but used a red pencil for the main outlines, since it smears less when the first paint is applied.
I decided to work on the figures first and establish their main values, leaving the background buildings for later. Once the figures are almost complete I will work on the background and return for the final detail work on the figures last.
I’ll be able to block in a little more tomorrow, and apply a red underglaze to the buildings. Then I’ll set this painting aside for a few days, as I head off for Lake Powell to take a watercolor workshop with David Drummond.