Whitney Home – Kirtland Ohio
Watercolor painting of the Newell K. Whitney Home in Kirtland Ohio
About this Item
Latter-day Saints began moving from New York to Kirtland, Ohio, in 1831. Joseph and Emma Smith arrived in February of that year. They were graciously invited to live in the home of Newel and Elizabeth Whitney and their five children, where they stayed for a few weeks. Joseph healed Elsa Johnson’s lame arm in the Whitney home. The Prophet also received important revelations here, including the Lord’s confirmation of Joseph’s prophetic calling, the law of the Church, and the office and duties of a bishop. Here, Newel K. Whitney was called as the second bishop in the Church. A three-day “Feast for the Poor,” many of them newly arrived Saints, was hosted in Bishop Whitney’s home in January 1836. “The Prophet Joseph and his two Counselors [were] present each day, talking, blessing, and comforting the poor, by words of encouragement and their most welcome presence.” The LDS Church purchased the Whitney home in the early 1980s and restored it to its original condition in 2003.
|Unframed Size (in):|